Director's Digest February 2018

Registration vs Permit

As we are in the midst of renewal season, one question that often gets asked is "What's the difference between my registration and practice permit? Are they not the same thing?”

To answer those questions, we must start with your renewing register. A register is an official list or record, and the following are a list of the Colleges Registers.

When you renew to the general (active) register, you must meet a particular set of criteria. This includes things like competency requirements, practice hours, fitness to practice, etc.  If you meet all the requirements, you are approved for an active registration and placed on the general register. The approval of an active registration triggers the approval of an active practice permit. 

When you move to the associate register, you are telling the College that you are not practicing for the renewal year; however, you want to maintain your registration. Moving to an associate register does not trigger a permit approval, as there are no practice permits attached to a non-practicing register.

You might have noticed that “inactive” is not listed on the non-practicing register. When you to move an inactive status, you are removing your registration with the College. This status change takes you off all registers, and if you choose to come back to practice, you are required to reapply to the general register.

The diagram below shows how your renewal application is processed in the system.

Let’s go back to our two central questions:

What's the difference between my registration and practice permit?”  Your registration is determined by the information provided to the College in your renewal application (whether you meet practicing requirements). A permit is only available to those who are on the practicing register. In the case of renewals, you must be on the active/general register to receive your active practice permit.

 “Are they not the same thing?” No, they are not the same thing because you can be registered with the College (active or associate) but not always hold a practice permit (associate).

I hope this information helped to provide some clarity on registration and practice permits.