Director's Digest February 2019

Practice Autonomy

As the role and scope of diagnostics expands in healthcare (especially rural health), we've seen an increase in the question "As a CLXT, am I allowed to do 'X'?"   

You can replace 'X' with a new lab test to a new employment role, and many other examples in between.  

Currently, when a person has a question about their practice or changes to their practice, there is no set process to follow for feedback. A Registrant contacts the College (usually via email), a review is performed and advice is provided.   

Upon review of the types of questions posed to the College, we came to the realization that we need to provide Registrants with a more standardized process regarding practice inquiries. And while situations will always arise where College advice is required, we want to provide more decision making autonomy to Registrants.  

With many thanks to the College of Licensed Practical Nurses of Alberta, we are currently adapting a Practice Decision tool to help Registrants decide if the practice/activity in question is appropriate for a CLXT to perform. 

This tool will consist of 6 questions: 

  • Is the role or activity consistent with CLXT competencies, legislation, regulation and professional standards? 
  • Are the competencies needed to perform the role or activity learned in entry-to-practice education? If not, does the CLXT have the post-basic education, training, or certification needed, including an ACCLXT Advanced Authorization if needed? 
  • Is the CLXT supported to perform the role or activity through employer policy and/or job description? 
  • Does the individual CLXT have the competence to perform the role or activity? 
  • Does the role or activity require additional clinical supports to be performed safely? 
  • Would a CLXT, using good judgment, perform the role or activity within this practice environment? 

As Registrants use the tool and work their way through the information and questions, the end result for the CLXT is:

  •  That they can perform the activity, or
  •  To stop and consult the College

We will also be releasing a Practice Review form in conjunction with the Practice Decision tool. This form is intended for Registrants, who, based on their answers to the Practice Decision tool, need to consult with the College. This form is not to replace the tool, as we will be specifically asking which Practice Decision question(s) require consultation and for what reason.  

The Practice Decision tool and form will be available late spring 2019. 


Continuing Competency Program Optional Tools

Click to view the following PDF documents:


  • Self-Assessment Form – is a fillable form of the CLXT Self-Assessment, including general instructions. Note: when clicking "more" for a link to that particular item in the Competency Guide, you MUST right click and open in a new tab. Otherwise when you come back to the fillable form your bullets will not be saved.


  • Self-Assessment Form (non-fillable) – this is a simple version of the CLXT Self-Assessment, including the instructions. Easily downloaded and printed.


  • DI Quality Assurance Log - for those that have no access to PeerVue or Tableau - please use this document for proof of completion. This is a review of imaging cases that are not your own; for learning purposes only, and is in no way a performance assessment tool. It allows technologists the ability to learn from image critique for review in positioning, technical factors, markers etc.


Advanced Practice

An ACCLXT Registrant wishing to carry out activities that exceed entry to practice requirements must have the necessary competence to perform the processes/procedures safely and effectively. Competence is achieved by completing additional programming/training as approved by the College.

Upon successful completion of an approved program, a CLXT Registrant must apply to the College to receive an advanced authorization (Specialization) applied to their practice permit. Registrants that hold an advanced authorization on their practice permit will be required to verify maintenance of competence upon renewal each year.


Current Advanced Authorizations:

Bone Densitometry

Medication Preparation

Intravenous Line (Venipuncture)


Approved Advanced Practice Courses - click here to view approved courses.

Application Process - click here to view the process to apply for an Authorization.



Special Project Review

To start the review process, complete Special Project Review Application. We will receive a system generated email notification when you complete the form.

Once we receive your application, we will review the information provided and determine if your project is eligible for special project credit and if so, the allowable credit allotment.

We strive to provide you with an answer within 4-6 weeks; processing times vary based on information received and the complexity of the project.

When approved, you will receive an email notification and the activity will be added to your Learning Plan with the approved credit allotment.

You are required to complete the following in your assigned activity:

  1. Update activity in your 2019/20 learning plan with band/standard outlined in your application form.
  2. Under your Learning Goal- update from “TBA” to your desired goal.
  3. Plan Implemented- remains “Planned”
  4. Estimated Date of Completion- update from April 1, 2019, to the desired date of completion.
  5. Click “Save” at the bottom of the activity. 


Director's Digest August 2018

What’s in a name, or in this case a Title?

All regulated health professionals have protected titles.  They are listed in the Health Profession Act and usually look something like this:

Use of titles, etc.

2  A regulated member of the Alberta College of Combined Laboratory  and  X-ray Technologists may, as authorized by the regulations, use any of the following titles, abbreviations and initials: 

  (a)       combined laboratory x-ray technician; 

  (a.1)   combined laboratory x-ray technologist; 

  (b)       CLXT. 


In the last several months, issues of inappropriate usage of title (CLXT’s misusing other professional titles) have come to light.


Here are some common questions/comments received when title issues arise:


  • What happens when someone else uses a CLXT title or a CLXT uses a different title? 
  • Is it really that big of deal?
  • Does anyone care that I called myself a “lab tech” or “x-ray tech”?
  • “Lab Tech” and “X-ray Tech” are not protected titles, so it really should not matter.
  • It’s hard to explain what a CLXT is.


First and foremost, there is a risk to patient safety and public protection when you misidentify yourself (with either name, profession or both), as it does not tell the patient/public who is accountable for their care. Patients and the public recognize health professional titles because they indicate a level of competence and fitness to practice.


While the CLX profession is made up of laboratory and DI competencies and CLXT’s work in a lab and/or in x-ray, “lab tech” and “x-ray tech” are common names for two separate and distinct professions. Section 128 (1) of the HPA states:

No person or group of persons shall represent or imply that the person is a regulated member or that the group of persons consists of regulated members unless the person is a regulated member, or the group of persons consists of regulated members.

Using the term “lab tech” or “x-ray tech” implies that you are a member of either of those professions and by extension a registrant of their College. The Act then goes on to say:

A person commits an offence if they use a title protected by the College if they are not registrants of the College at the time of using the title, the HPA further provides that a person who contravenes section 128 is guilty of an offence and liable under s129 as follows:

(a) for a first offence, to a fine of not more than $2000,

(b) for a 2nd offence, to a fine of not more than $4000, and

(c) for a 3rd and every subsequent offence, to a fine of not more than $6000 or to imprisonment for a term of not more than 6 months or to both fine and imprisonment.

Not only can you be held to account professionally, you may also be fined a significant amount of money.

Finally, it is a privilege to hold a protected title. CLX technology can be called a niche profession; small numbers and not well exposed.  If a patient doesn’t understand what a CLXT is, take the time to explain (while you are collecting blood or wheeling a patient down from the ER) what the profession entails and the benefit CLXT’s serve to the public.


The title CLXT is one that a registrant should actively promote and celebrate.